Sunday, September 14, 2014

Liberated Squirrels are done


Yesterday, Kathy, Cathy, Christine and Barb came over to spend the day sewing in my dining room.  There was much laughter, chatting and sewing going on all day long! 


We were all very busy!

Of course, there were also scraps...

Kathy has more than one bin full of scraps but only brought one bin with her!

I spent some time finishing up some WIP's for the London Friendship Quilters Guild charity projects. These 9 patches will be used in a Quilt of Valour:

 
And these pillowcases will be sold in the boutique at our guild show in October as a fundraiser for our charity projects:
 


In the afternoon and evening, I finished up the quilting on my Liberated Squirrels Quilt.
 
I tried out some new Hiroshima Quilting Needles which I purchased at the Quilts at the Creek show a few weeks ago. The package states "Large eye needle. Flexible and warp resistant. Runs smoothly through fabric."  I think the first part of this description is a bit (ok, a lot!) deceptive.  I have never tried to thread a needle with such a small eye!  Even with my glasses on, it took several tries to get the thread though the hole! I would have to agree with the rest of the statement--they were flexible and did not warp like the other needles I have been using to quilt this project. I found that my stitches were smaller and more evenly spaced when using this needle.
 
 
I trimmed the quilt and added the binding by machine. I spent the rest of the time, hand sewing the binding down.  This afternoon, I did the final hand stitches on the binding and took the Liberated Squirrels out to the backyard for a photo shoot:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
TA DA!!!
 
 
Now it just needs a sleeve and a label and it will be ready for the quilt show!
 
BTW, there was a tea and pie break mid afternoon to keep up our strength...
 
I am linking up to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching.


13 comments:

  1. HEY!! Those are my friends too. Boy Kathy and Barb sure get around!! No doubt there was a lot of chatting and laughter and scrap bin diving!! Looks like you gots lots done! Your quilting is very nice and even!! Good luck with the show in October!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely interested in needles that will improve my quilting. What size did you buy? Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that squirrel quilt. So glad you finished it. It is so much fun to look at. I hate the fact that I have so much trouble threading a needle not that my eyes are older. Sigh.... The tea and pie are making me hungry. Sustenance is always needed when quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had some sewing buddies! Looks like you all had such fun. And, speaking of fun...your liberated squirrel quilt gave me a good laugh. It's so cute.

    I have problems threading any needle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great day with quilty friends! Thanks for hosting the party Gail! It was fun to see your projects in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've admired that squirrel quilt for a while now. It looks great now that it is finished. I like the look of the pie, but I like the china even more. I love that range - I have 2 cups and one plate and only I'm allowed to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic way to spend a day! The pie looks amazing. Your squirrel quilt is too fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a fun day with fun friends. And lots and lots got done by everyone. It's lovely to have friends to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your squirrel quilt...congrats for finishing it.
    Debbie
    ===^..^===

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've enjoyed watching this squirrel quilt come along. I feed squirrels here...I should try to find a picture to copy and put one in my house quilt lawn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilt, great colors! An the pie I could have anytime! Thank you for sharing your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great quilt, I love all the little squirrels

    ReplyDelete